Everyone wants to have the best night’s sleep. It’s definitely needed for body and mental health and wellness. Different researches were done and showed that certain plants produce essential oils that are known to have soothing effects for relaxation.
When they are used at bedtime, along with a nice soft mattress, essential oils will help promote your best night sleep by preventing sleep disturbance brought by sleep apnea or snoring.
Essential oils are healthy and safe, as long as they’re organic. It can be applied to the skin directly or in a diffuser. If you’re looking for ways to relax and make yourself feel special, invest in some essential oils.
Aside from being effective to provide the best night’s sleep, and being therapeutic, there are a lot of benefits you can get from them.
- 1 Here are a few things that essential oils help you with:
- 2 What is the best essential oil blend for sleep?
- 3 The scents that are usually used for sleeping or relaxing are:
- 4 Do essential oils for sleep really work?
- 5 How do you use essential oils for sleep?
- 6 What essential oils are good for anxiety and sleep?
- 7 Do oil diffusers help you sleep?
- 8 Different types of oil diffusers:
- 9 Takeaway
Here are a few things that essential oils help you with:
- Reduce Stress – the scent and the relaxing feeling it gives after every application does great reduction on stress level.
- Ease Pain – that warm-minty or cold-minty feeling alleviates pain in different parts of the body.
- Thicken and lengthen hair – treat your hair with essential oils like coconut oil, argan oil, and more to keep it nourished.
- Even skin tone – problems with sun exposure, scars from acne, or age spots can be resolved by using essential oils.
- Improve brain function – some oils can be inhaled directly or sprayed in the room, They can give uplifting moods and improve brain performance.
- Relieve headaches and migraines – essential oils reduce stress, hence, pain and tension headaches can be relieved.
- Slows the aging process – some essential oils are promising when it comes to taking care of wrinkled skin
- Promote oral health – yes, there are also essential oils for dentistry
- Strengthen Immunity – they can fight infection and boost immunity
- Elevate moods – the relaxing feeling it gives greatly improves the mood
- Balance Hormones – essential oils serve as an antidepressant and reduce anxiety
- Improve sleep quality – they hit a lot of birds in one stone – relaxes the body, relieves the pain, improves the mood, releases tension – hence, a good sleep.
What is the best essential oil blend for sleep?
Sleep is important for physical and mental health; it is an essential human function, and most important for humans “to function”. It allows us to prepare the body and brain for working properly the next day.
There are a lot of different scents or types of essential oils. Using only 1 scent is okay, but mixing products is better. If you don’t want to use one scent, here are some blends that can help you improve sleep.
- 3 drops of lavender + 3 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 3 drops of bergamot + 3 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil + 3 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- 2 drops of lavender + 2 drops of vetiver + 2 drops of marjoram essential oil
- 3 drops of Roman chamomile + 2 drops bergamot + 2 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 3 drops grounding blend + 2 drops lavender + 2 drops Roman chamomile essential oil
- 2 drops of lavender + 2 drops of Roman chamomile + 2 drops marjoram essential oil
- 3 drops patchouli + 2 drops wild orange + 2 drops frankincense essential oil
- 3 drops of vetiver + 3 drops of lavender + 2 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 3 drops lavender + 3 drops vetiver essential oil
- 3 drops vetiver + 3 drops of calming blend essential oil
- 3 drops patchouli + 3 drops sandalwood essential oil
The scents that are usually used for sleeping or relaxing are:
- Calming Blend
- Wild Orange
- Roman Chamomile
- Grounding Blend
Do essential oils for sleep really work?
When experiencing sleepless nights regularly, you might think of switching to natural ways for improvement. Using essential oils is a popular choice. Not only are they easy to use but also show positive results to some people. Say for example, people who are suffering from sleep disorders became well after using lavender and peppermint oils.
They say that the quality of their sleep improved and became normal. Some studies are showing that essential oils promote better sleep but the research is still inconclusive. Studies haven’t reached clinical trials so there are still no other shreds of evidence.
Using different types of diffusers helps you use essential oils that have extracts of calming botanicals. A note to remember; a few lifestyle changes can also help you improve sleep. You can try a few simple changes like:
- Avoid gadgets an hour before bedtime.
- Avoid night or midnight coffee.
- Eat dinner more early.
- Make a bedtime ritual.
How do you use essential oils for sleep?
The manner of using essential oils focused on topical and inhalation. This can calm the mind and body, and also includes making sleep better. There are different ways on how you can enjoy and benefit from using essential oils to get a good sleep.
This is the easiest way to use essential oils. Put a few drops or any blend that you like into the diffuser before going to bed.
Next is topical where you apply oils to certain parts of your body. An example is the bottom of your feet, behind the knees, wrists, on the back of the neck, or behind the ears. These parts are called trigger points. If you’re going to do this make sure you create 2-3% dilution for your safety.
Lastly is the misting spray. This is like using a diffuser but manually. Use your preferred blend or scent, add 20 drops, fill the spray bottle with water, and shake. You can mist your room, your pillow, or bed before sleeping.
What essential oils are good for anxiety and sleep?
Anxiety can be the primary cause and the side effect of sleeping disorders. It can create a vicious cycle. Experts suggest using these kinds of essential oils to help manage anxiety.
- Angelica can improve brain work.
- Labdanum soothes the mind if you’re dealing with mental and emotional problems.
- Bergamot reduces stress, and can also fight food poisoning
- Sweet Orange is an anti-anxiety and natural sleep remedy.
- Palmarosa – this calms the mind relieves anger, nervousness, insomnia, anxiety, fear, and even jealousy.
- Valerian helps with anxiety and depression. Can also regulate blood pressure.
- Lavender has 21 benefits. Said as the best essential oil for everybody.
- May Chang can improve blood circulation and improve emotional wellbeing.
- Lemon-Scented Ironbark reduces anxiety and depression symptoms.
- Petitgrain Bigarade is a good sedative, antidepressant, and boosts nervous system health.
- Basil can treat asthma, enhances blood circulation, and relieves pain.
- Orange Bigarade can increase confidence level, give calm thoughts, and a peaceful atmosphere.
- Sweet Marjoram eases mood swings, strengthens tired muscles, eases headaches and migraines.
- Geranium calms and has antidepressive effects.
- Patchouli calms emotions.
Do oil diffusers help you sleep?
A good night’s sleep is vital for your health and happiness. Even if you have a comfortable bed, there is still time that you can relax and sleep properly. Try using oil diffusers with your favorite essential oil.
One of the ways essential oils are used is diffusing or diffusion, but what is an oil diffuser?
Oil diffusers break down essential oils into smaller molecules. This way, it can disperse into the air and create a calming effect or depend on what oil you put.
Different types of oil diffusers:
First is the Nebulizing Diffusers. This one uses pressurized air that creates a mist of oil. There is a vacuum that gets the oil into a tube and spreads aroma into the air. This kind of diffuser doesn’t use heat or water. If you’re looking for low-maintenance and plastic-free this diffuser is for you.
Ultrasonic or Humidifying Diffusers is next. This is usually called a Humidifier. This breaks oils and spreads a fine mist. This uses water to be able to create a mist. If you want to add moisture to the air this is for you. It also has plastic ultrasonic parts that need to be cleaned because of oils.
There is also Evaporative Diffuser where there is a small fan that turns the oil into gas. It makes the oil evaporate into the air. Oil may lose potency when it evaporates. This is for those people who like a quick aromatic feeling.
The last type of diffuser is the Heat or Electric Diffusers. Instead of a fan, this uses heat to turn oil into gas. When you heat oil it can change its chemical properties and make the oil less intense or even more depends on the properties.
Oil diffusers are safe to humans but dangerous to pets. They are just a tool that you can use with essential oils. Essential oils are the main product you need to improve your wellbeing.
These diffusers are just to enhance or spread the scent of your chosen oil. Once you breathe the natural oils in the air, they will connect with your brain.
It can improve your mood, provide you with a night of good sleep. It even invigorates your health. Aside from these health benefits, it can also make your house or room smell so good. This is much healthier than those store-bought air fresheners.
Just make sure you use the right scent or blend because some scents can make your sleep disorder worse. This can also trigger health problems with people who are sensitive to aromas. Aerosolized types of essential oils can trigger asthma attacks.
If some hot oils from your oil diffusers get to your skin, chemical burns may happen. And some can cause rashes, wheezing, coughing, and more. It is important to still keep safe while you are enjoying its benefits.
At the end of the day, these oils might not provide the solution that you are seeking. But in a holistic manner, they can help you take care of yourself and prioritize wellness. Just remember to be cautious when you’re going to use one.